Brisket and Barrel's Reuben sandwich
Being a deli now, we couldn't have a sandwich board without THE Ruben. It's a classic in all good delis. Here is how it's done.
The recipe is made with 3 slices of bread for 2 layers but of course you can make it with 2 slices for 1 layer. In that case divide all other ingredients by 2.
All you need is:
- 3 slices of sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp smoked ketchup
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 100g of brisket pastrami or 150g of smoked beef brisket
- 30g of comté or cheddar sliced lengthwise in thin slices
- 1 pickled cucumber sliced
- 2 tbsp sauerkraut drained
- Freshly ground pepper
1. Butter one side of each slice of bread
2. Add 1 tbsp of smoked ketchup and spread it evenly, Half of the pastrami/smoked beef brisket, a little black pepper, half of the cucumber, 1 tbsp of sauerkraut, half of the cheese and the second slice of bread
3. If you are using 3 slices of bread, repeat step 2
4. Preheat a pan over medium-high heat. Heat the sandwich on each side until it's golden brown and the cheese has melted.
Et voilà !
If you try it, tags us @brisketandbarrel and use #brkbrlrecipes :)